Mother Hubbard's Cupboard

A look into the mind of one of the most random, crazy people in all the land.

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Peoria, Illinois, United States

A Lutheran seminarian eagerly awaiting the return of Our Lord. Soli Deo Gloria!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Theology....It Really is All That and a Bag of Chips

Old Testament Reading: Jeremiah 29:1-19
New Testament Reading: The Holy Gospel According to St. Matthew 26:36-56
Bonus New Testament Reading: The Revelation to St. John the Apostle 14:1-20
Psalms: Morning - 15
Evening - 48; 4

Really, theology is all that and a bag of chips. Don't believe me? Well, how can I put this? You spend your time thinking and meditating about the Creator of the Universe, the Savior of mankind, and the glue of the church. I think that's pretty dang "bagofchipallicious!"

Seriously though, an update. I haven't had time to think of anything theological for this blog. Instead I've been putting my efforts into reading and preparing for a Comparative Religions paper. More on that as the day for its being due draws near. The professor for that class has a habit of going off on historic Christianity...usually for historical or theological innaccuracies that he just doesn't know any better. However, we are developing a mutual respect for one another...usually because when I respecfully and tacitly correct him, he has a tendency to accept it, and when we debated the omnigod concept in class from Plato with regard to the problem of evil...he didn't really listen to me too carefully. That is however, becauses he jumped around between philosophy and religion as it suited him.

Here is the setup for the discussion. From a PURELY PHILOSOPHICAL viewpoint:
1. God exists.
2. God is omniscient.
3. God is omnipotent.
4. God is omnibenevolent.
5. Evil exists.
In order to logically square one of these, according to philosophy, an adequate response would be to get rid of one of the five options. When I said I would get rid of 4 because I have no evidence to think God actually cares for those on earth from a purely philsophical point of view...he said effectively how I can then worship such a God. To which I responded that faith in a God and belief in a God's existence are two different questions....and again, from a purely PHILOSOPHICAL viewpoint....I have no reason to accept 4.

Isn't that the crux of the matter though? Isn't that why our conscience condemns us when we sin? According to all reason and logic...God could have just ignored us or justly punished us. Instead, He did what our logic says is faulty...and He became man and suffered for us to be free and with Him in eternity.

Philosophy can't answer that or provide that without God telling us in His Word.....anyway, just a side-note.

Really....that's it for right now...I'm tired and I have to work and go to class in the morning. Night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, this somewhat reminds me of the very short encounter in class with my Bible teacher last year about the end times, and also a couple of discussions about the sacraments and other things with a couple of baptist classmates (all sticky discussions)
-Rachel

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home