Mother Hubbard's Cupboard

A look into the mind of one of the most random, crazy people in all the land.

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Peoria, Illinois, United States

A Lutheran seminarian eagerly awaiting the return of Our Lord. Soli Deo Gloria!

Sunday, September 17, 2006

It's Being Examined by Top Men........TOP, men!

Funny links of the day:
He's Awesome
I always wondered how he got away with that crap!
Not going to be a sport anytime soon.
Saddam=Pavoratti????
I always knew "self-esteem" was just fictitious nonsense!
ummmmm
You know SOMEONE'S getting a visit from your friendly neighborhood FCC secret police!
I actually don't know if this is funny or sad.....how do those monks who live as hermits for years beat the statistic???

APOLOGIA:
Alright. So...I've been getting some complaints as is apparent. Frankly, I don't care. People think I'm nuts because all I write about is religion. If those who actually know me have been paying attention....the introduction to the blog should have clued you in....if not, repeat 1st grade. Am I serious all the time? No. I don't always talk about religion...in fact several of my close friends know we hardly ever talk about it......we talk about baseball and how the Cardinals are hit and miss this year (ahem....Marquis, learn to be consistent........hitters....hit the DAMN BALL!) or how the Cubs are going to break their curse (LOL!). We talk about beer, we talk about women, we talk about the news, we talk about how each other is doing, we talk about movies, we talk about books, we talk about how it's good we're not deadbeats. Seriously, I know the people who are writing the responses are friends, but I'm going to be firm with you....I know you think I'm nuts because you see me as a fanatic....think again.....shit like THIS scares the HELL out of me! You want to know what I really think? I think you all need to have a dose of reality....grow up, and realize that actually taking religion and life seriously does not make one psycho......flying planes into buildings, shooting abortionists, and holding mass brainwashing-esque style groups like that is called psycho....fundamentalist.....you name it. STOP thinking that because you aren't religious or "that" religious that you can sit there and pass judgement and criticism upon a group thinking you understand...because trust me, your generalizing rationalizations about how religion always leads to close-mindedness, bigotedness, and violence is downright hogwash....anyone with half a brain who reads can tell you that the communists in Russia (formerly) and China (currently) have just as much blood on their hands with atheism as do misguided Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc.

To end this little tyrade, this blog was originally intended to vent about women and write about what hit my mind....frankly, I care about eternity and about things that last longer than getting drunk on the weekend....that can be done in person via a phone. Here, this is an example:
Person 1: "Hey dude."
Person 2: "What's up?"
Person 1: "Not much......wanna head to Old Chicago?"
Person 2: "Sweet.....I'll meet you there in half an hour."
Person 1: "see ya."
And the aftermath? Don't write about it unless some wierd shit happened that was interesting....don't write about what the color of your friend's puke was, who he almost got into a fight with (unless it was with Van Dam....and you caused Van Damage!). I guess what I'm saying is....most of the stuff YOU guys write about.....NO ONE will care about in a few years....what I'm writing about has been discussed and debated for centuries....even millenia......what do you talk about? Stuff that's been done by someone or another since the dawn of time....but it hasn't really advanced at all or brought a better life for people has it? Maybe rather than just criticize my writing on religion all the time (and I don't consequently)....just chill out, sit down, and think maybe I'm writing it because I think it really matters a lot. I don't have a significant other to write about, most of my friends have moved away (though I'm making new ones, read below), and I'm just getting into full swing with school. I don't intend my intellectual musings to have any impact on people of no faith....if it did, good, I'm happy I could share with you that we're not all homocidal maniacs that are portrayed. Maybe, just maybe, look at the fact that what I write about is considered a respected intellectual endeavor........this in light of many people (not the people who responded necessarily, but like people on myspace or the internet who generally have no idea how anything works) saying that Christianity is a religion for close-minded idiots when I'm the one using my God given brain to figure out a deeper meaning to the world. Do people who write about REASON really even know what it means? How do you know using reason works? You can't tell me "people cure diseases with reason" because the polytheistic and backwards Romans were doing surgery that we only got back to doing in the middle of this century. Seriously, don't criticize, try understanding. In the end, that's the most human and the best thing to do. If you are offended, I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention, but if you are, THINK about why you're offended......I don't think you'll really care for the answer. And that's all I'm going to say on the subject.

News: The school year has started, and so far Bradley's not half bad! I'm enjoying the 5-6 person class size, and whether my professor is Harvard trained and Stephen J. Gould's first graduate student, or the laid back fish guy who just wants to have fun in the class and lab, I can handle it! So what am I taking?
1. Invertebrate Zoology-Merrill Foster
2. Biology of Fishes-Robert Stephens
3. Paleobiology Readings-Foster
4. Paleobiology Research-Foster
3 and 4 have already been discussed below. I'm looking at comparing reproduction, particularly across different classes to determine if a common thread combines and causes common reproductive habbits. Why do some sharks have a placenta....isn't that a Eutherian trait? Why do some Eutherians seem to have an evolutionary path or pattern that leads from less dependence on the Corpus Luteum for hormones in the higher mammals? Why is the development of a fully functioning placenta relatively quick in some fish species? How did the ancient marine reptiles give birth? Why do no Archosaurs give birth to live young and many many Squamates have?
2. We're dissecting sharks right now in Fish. It's like, the third time I've done it, so it's fun...especially since we don't have to expose every single muscle and vessel....that was a pain in the ass. I'm liking the using razor blades over scalpels....I was a little skeptical when our TA for comparative anatomy, but it's really effective, especially since they're cheap and they're always sharp. Since the integument of most animals is rough, they can dull the blade pretty quickly, so that helps to cut down on costs and replacement time of the scalpel blades. All in all, if I can recognize the organs in the shark (no prob) and the ten cranial nerves (a little tougher :-/), I'll be good.
1. In invertebrate we just took an exam covering protozoa, porifera, cnidaria, and ctenophera. It was hard as there was a lot of memorization in there....but I'll keep the fingers crossed that I did the best in the class and maybe (slim, slim probability) I got a perfect score........and since this professor hasn't given an A in several years in this class....and he's my advisor....I'd like to think I can clean house....at least it would be cool.

New school friends: On Friday, most of us invertebrate kids took a trip to Kellehers and Jimmys to have a few "glasses of fermented drink." It was fun, we talked about all sorts of things.....favorite movies, favorite songs, and my favorite.....I got to tell (or I should say butcher) the "Motely Crue" story of Andy, Matt, and Steve....because one of the guys in the group knows Matt and Steve and never heard the story! We got to see some "fly honnies" (man, I miss Nate-dog! *tear*)......and listen to some good music. Sadly the brew was MGD lite....but it was the thought that counted.

News: We got our dining room done minus curtains and the final table. We have most of the hall upstairs done....and then it's the FAMILY ROOM!!!! Now that room I've been waiting to see since I was 8 will finally be done!!!!!....I hope :-/.

We're getting a new museum on the riverfront.....and a new name for the Lakeview Museum.....and it doesn't involve river??!?!?! WTF???? The names involve "discovery something" and other stupid kiddie names.....yeah, and it is supposed to be semi-affiliated with the Smithsonian. I want to take my classes to the All Fun and No Content Museum......yeah, those museums usually suck content-wise, are expensive, and only attract little rugrats.

Ah well, I better post this and get to bed. I need to go to work tomorrow and earn some dough.....even though I hate Nelson and don''t want to work there :-(.

Pax

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean the room is going to be finished? Wow... Oh, I made a comment to dad about Spooky and he kinda grinned and laughed - so I'd interrogate your father... Hope all is well on your end, I know my grandfather was thankful your dad stopped by St. Fran while g-pa was there after his heart attack... L8r

11:05 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yeah....I was going for more gritty....less grains.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home